Monday, December 16, 2013

Troubling Stories

-12/13/2013-

I remember wrestling to articulate to myself somewhere between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college (which is where all the real decisions are made, right?) the reasons that I, a tentatively aspiring scribbler and reader, was going to study nursing instead of English or literature. 

I want to learn stories from people, not just pages. 

Good reading is seventy-five percent of good writing. I can read while I practice nursing. 

I want my page-turning and people-winning to feed and not starve each other. 

I want real life and real people to tell me why paper-life and paper-people matter. 

I want to actually hurt and struggle through things with someone, 
beyond emotional self-flagellation over hypothetical and historical situations. 

So I arrive at the end of my twenty-second year. I never pulled a Paolini when I was fifteen or even twenty, nor do I have thirteen or so large novels sitting on my computer hard-drive waiting to be unleashed into the world of publication like so many barrels out of bond. I have not perfected the art of mass-scribbling; I have not even mastered minor-scribbling. The only art I have clung to with half a feeble hand is that of waiting. 

And waiting. 

Four months ago, I traded my adventures running around a cardiac unit brandishing toxic, life-saving substances for a silver band on my left-hand ring-finger. 

And waiting.  

Three-some months ago, I traded general physical wellbeing and the ability to wear chic faux-vintage clothing for morning sickness, a swelling belly, and the Doppler's swish-swish promise of life yet unborn. 

And waiting. 

Last weekend, we buried my oldest brother and I traded the sense of a big happy family here on earth for the achingly awful beauty of the utter necessity of resurrection and glory. 

And waiting. 

Those were the credentials I received. No towering stories. No overseas experiences. Life, new life, and grief - in that order. 

A couple months ago, I bothered to pay attention to my Twitter feed, and caught a little monologue from Jeffery Overstreet on the inherently problematic nature of Christian fiction. It ended with this final critique: that in modern literature, "the stamp 'Christian' draws readers who want stories they'll agree with, rather than stories that (like parables) trouble them." 

The last week and a half have taught me more about troubling stories than the previous twenty-two years of my life. I have stood next to my parents and siblings and heard their mouths and my own telling virtual strangers again and again how God is good in the death of a seventeen year old boy - telling friends how Jesus was kind and good to take the life of a man on the cusp of the rest of his life, a man full of talent and love in the prime of health, vitality, ambition, and uprightness. I have tasted how bereavement is chock full of glory and beauty, how glory and beauty are chock full of pain, how pain is chock full of sweetness, and how none of it makes sense because it all should make sense in the sovereignty of God and yet I still find myself crying. 

One life - one loss - I cannot claim has left me qualified as a writer, but it has left me immensely unsatisfied as a reader. 

Take Dorothy Sayers: a good "Christian writer." The Mind of the Maker will easily shape the identity of any writer who holds to orthodox truth, and I am greatly indebted to her for her sound thoughts on the Christian identity and literature. Yet she lived Harriet Vane before she wrote her story - in sin, in heartache, in messiness and turmoil, and that is a troubling story. 

It is also an undeniably good story. 

I used to like writing a good crying plot into my stories. I used to think it was something to make characters suffer, and take lives and torment readers. I treasured drama and sudden plot turns. 

But now I do not understand how it is godly to revel in suffering any more than it is to write it off. 

I do not understand how writing off little things is any less than writing off the foolishness of God for the wisdom of the world. 

I do not understand how an author who factors in the death of a character as "part of the plot" rather than a gaping chasm in the fabric of the story can understand anything of the essence of story-telling as a reflection of God's nature. 

I do not understand how a degree or even a creed in the Christian faith qualifies anyone half as much as Sayers to try and sketch the chasm of death and loss of life. (Sometimes I wonder if the degree is more useful than the creed; to paraphrase Christ, even the heathen toil after earthly dwellings and complicated falsehoods, while we the faithful are put to shame by our lack of ability to labour over our simple truths). 'Sooth, I find as much comfort in the platitudes of the majority of "Christian" fiction as Job found in his friends', who sought to justify God into their own tiny understandings rather than ache and sorrow under the glory and mystery of his ways. 

Where, O Christian teller-of-tales, is the glory? Where is the mystery? 

Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled." I do not mean in my grief to say that we should build houses for our hearts in the realm of trouble. But Jesus also said, "In this world, you will have trouble," and though the sentence that follows is immensely comforting I wonder how capable we can be of conveying the truth of such comfort if we ignore the trouble itself. 

Take heart: I have overcome the world. 

Jesus did not give platitudes. He gave parables and riddles, called Mary and Martha to see the glory of God when they asked to see their brother healed, and in his own death overcame death. His life and death and life were not given merely as a plot point to allow some people to see nice things in bad things, nor to keep a select number safe from the hurt of this world. 

For the Christian writer, Christ overcoming the world ought to mean greater freedom: freedom to range the minefields and lose limbs, not freedom to sit safely on the fence of platitudes and "Christian" sentimentality. God give us courage to take heart and pen and hold onto that truth with all the tangible, brutal force that this troubled world necessitates. God give us peace enough to tell his troubling stories. 

9 comments:

  1. This is lovely, thoughtful, and true. We are grieving with you all.

    It was a great privilege to have you Fisher children in my online classes. Ben will be greatly missed, and we, with you, cling to Christ Our Resurrection and to God's goodness which is hard to see in this tragedy.

    Congratulations on your baby. The Lord be with you and yours in all your adventures, and comfort you now at this time of great loss. We do truly look for that brighter day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I found this through your mom's post. I will subscribe and send on to Braden. I think he would enjoy reading it as well. You have a way with words, and I appreciate you putting your thoughts down for your readers to take in. We continue to pray for your family as you move through the days of grief ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna. You have a very perceptive mind and a tremendous grasp of the "hidden truth". And you write really really good (lol). I, too, was on the edge of distraction as I heard, repeatedly, the fact that "Ben's mission was complete" and he is in a better place. All factual enough, but facts seldom relieve the burden of loss, sympathy, and the question "WHY?" I wanted to say, for the record, I am kinda mad at God. I know that's evil to say Actually, I'm not sure saying, or writing it, is truly evil or sinful, so much as what action or thought follows the statement. I know, in my anger, I am not asking for anything different, or assuming "God made a mistake" or thinking of leaving my faith because of the turn of peculiar events that ended with this loss. I am just dealing with the first death that I have ever experienced which involves such random chance, such pointless activity, and someone with so much potential and life ahead. The answers? We'll just have to wait. As to thinking of the value of fictional suffering, I think it is important that anyone with a spiritual walk realize that suffering is a key element. For my own faith, I equate suffering and pain with God's provision for miraculous results. Miracles do not happen through magic and fairy dust; but in the Bible, when God performed a true miracle, there was usually anguish, loss, pain, and uncertainty to reach that point; including the greatest miracle, our salvation. Suffering is an element in MANY miracles (birth, healing, reconciliation, etc.) and to fictionalize it is to express an empathy to your reader, a guide toward something genuine once the written story is read. The mystery is how God can provide such miraculous results from such suffering and pain. The world tempts us to believe God "allows" the pain and suffering where it could be prevented; but we believers know, the pain and suffering are the tides of life swirling to man's sinful nature and the consequence of that nature; but God occasionally pulls us free from those consequences and allows us joy, peace and understanding. I hope this makes some little bit of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have the way with words that you do, dear Anna, so I thank you for writing this.
    As you've heard many times before - I love you, I'm praying for you. I have a shoulder if you need somewhere to cry. Or arms to hold you while you grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We give thanks the story is NOT over, Ben's mission remains incomplete.... and anticipate the wonder certainly yet to come. But at the same time, he rests safely in the arms of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, thank you for sharing your heart in this writing. As I read it this morning during a rare face book visit, aloud at times to share with Genevieve, I had to get control of my voice choking up in order to continue reading and not 'lose it' altogether. I can really sense your grief over Ben and have prayed for your comfort. I am happy to hear that you have started a family of your own
    now. I'm sure you will be good at whatever you do. But whatever you do, do continue writing because it is obviously given to you from God. With love and sympathy, your cousin Brett Ferrantino

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing what so many of us who've lost loved ones - too soon - have experienced. My son, Doug, died May 17, 2011. Six months later his sister, Susan, died on Nov 15. For Damon (surviving son) and all of us who loved them - - we've learned you do survive, your life does go forward - but some platitudes by Christians leave you speechless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anna!

    I know you must be really busy with home and Banjo and all but I still thought you might be interested . . . so.

    Last Thursday, my blog, Fullness of Joy had its 3rd birthday :). To celebrate the event, I am hosting a blog-party of "special magnificence" throughout the week, and as a cherry-top icing a fun giveaway for three winners to end it all. It will be a week long tag series, with every day or so I'll be making different literary-themed topic tags, about different genres such as the classics, fantasy, mystery, children's, etc . . which everyone can join in with. And I am dearly hoping you would - it would thrill me very much and also it should prove some fun, I think :)

    Today's topic is "Historical Classics" :)

    http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/through-looking-glass-blog-birthday.html?m=1

    I hope you can join!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna, You won't remember me, but I was part of your life back in Champaign. Your mom just posted this blog, and I love it. I am going through pain right now, as I have a terminal illness and on top of that, two women we trusted have basically stolen our house and property so we will not be able to purchase a home when we move across the country to live by our daughter. I have screamed at God, all the time knowing He loves me and is holding me close to His heart. I told David that if anyone says to me, "Well, you know God's Word says He will never give you more than you can handle" I will sock them in the mouth! God may chose to break us, He broke His own Son to the point of a cruel and violent death. Yet, He is totally love, and I am learning to trust Him in a real and terrible way. Yes, the promises of wonder and magnificence in the future are true, but the wonder and magnificence of now, living in pain, sorrow, and betrayal knowing God is holding me even as I scream at Him is also miraculous. I would love to post this article on my blog. May I do that?

    ReplyDelete